It’s January and everyone is talking about de-toxing, but what does that actually mean?!?! We detoxify potentially harmful substances that we that we ingest and that we produce as metabolic by-products by a number of processes and avenues. In truth our bodies are busy de-toxing all the time…. Your liver especially is a power house of detoxification so one of the best ways to support a January detox is by giving your liver foods and nutrients that it needs to its job as best it can.
5 Fantastic Liver Supporting Foods
- Green Tea – Scientific researches suggest that green tea offers a two-fold benefit to the liver. First, green tea protects the liver’s cells and at the same time, boosts the immune system. The antioxidants in green tea have been proven protect the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol, cigarette smoking and other toxins. Moreover, one research reported that green tea may help prevent the growth of cancer cells in the liver and in many other organs of the body
- Red berries – Super high in plant antioxidants. A Finnish trial in 2010 found that regular consumption could help prevent liver disease. Try to choose organic varieties because while these little nutritional gems pack an antioxidant punch they often come high in the ‘dirty food lists’ (high in pesticides/herbicides).
- Green Leafy Vegetables – Contain plant (phyto) nutrients called glucosinolates that you liver loves to use to detoxify. As a result plenty of spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale rocket etc etc. are essential to this list. Best eaten raw or lightly steamed.
- Onions and garlic – Are what are known as sulphur containing vegetables. Sulphur is a key ingredients for some of the main liver enzymes, as a result these store cupboard basics help your liver no end.
- Turmeric – This Indian spice both protects the liver by being an anti-inflammatory and helps it do its job by enhancing liver enzyme production and being a powerful antioxidant.
So if you are thinking about ‘detoxing’ this January, maybe avoid faddy fasts and supplements….. instead love your liver by cooking yourself up a warming veggie curry with lots of turmeric, onions, garlic and green veggies?!