What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a gentle system of medicine that treats individuals with specially prepared remedies. These remedies are designed to stimulate our own natural healing abilities; they are easy to take, gentle and safe, they do not have side effects and are non-addictive.
Homeopathy is used by over 30 million people in Europe alone. In 2005, the World Health Organization estimated that homeopathy is the fastest growing healthcare modality in the world with more than half a billion users. It is over 200 years old, was introduced to the U.K. by Dr Quin in 1828, is sanctioned by the UK government, and has been an integral part of the National Health Service (NHS) since it was founded in 1948. In November 2000, a House of Lords report on complementary and alternative therapies judged homeopathy to be one of five ‘group one’ therapies (out of thirty examined), with convincing research evidence of effectiveness, suggesting that it should be more widely available on the NHS.
Patients seeking to use homeopathy often come with these conditions:
- Skin complaints – eczema, psoriasis, rashes, warts, acne, dermatitis, fungal infections, allergic complaints
- Digestive disorders – bloating, heartburn, colitis, IBS, Crohn’s disease, constipation, diarrhoea, food poisoning
- Respiratory disorders – asthma, colds, flu, pneumonia
- Auto-immune disorders – allergies, arthritis, rheumatism, fibromyalgia, lupus
- Mental and emotional complaints – depression, stress, anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, grief, PTSD, anger, low self esteem, lack of confidence, insomnia
- Men’s health – infertility, prostate problems, erectile dysfunction, stress, exhaustion, injury
- Women’s health – menstrual and hormonal problems including PMS, thyroid problems, infertility, cystitis, candida infections, fibroids, polycystic ovaries, PCOS, pregnancy and birth complaints, birth trauma, breastfeeding and lactation difficulties, menopause
- Childhood diseases – fevers, colds, teething, mumps, measles, whooping cough, chicken pox etc
- Behavioural difficulties – bed-wetting, tantrums, aggression, hyperactivity, ADD, ADHD, autism, aspergers, dyslexia, dyspraxia
- Other debilitating conditions – injuries, accidents, traumas, surgery, migraines, headaches, backache, chronic fatigue, ME
What to expect from homeopathy
Our skilled and fully qualified homeopath, Jennifer Hautman (www.hautmanhomeopathy.com) is a registered member of the Society of Homeopaths and is experienced in working with people presenting many types of disorders and symptoms.
In homeopathy, we tend not to have a standard treatment for any one particular condition. The homeopathic approach is to treat each individual as a whole person, not just a disease. Therefore we will not only be interested in your symptoms but also in the kind of person you are. Information about your emotional state and disposition will most often be the key to choosing a homeopathic prescription.
The first consultation can last up to 90 minutes. Subsequent consultations can be up to 60 minutes and can take place every 3-6 weeks, depending on how you respond and what it is you are seeking help for.
Homeopathy is a safe and effective treatment; remedies are non-toxic and carry no risk of harmful side effects or addiction. It therefore is especially suitable for pregnant women, children and newborns.